CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

5.13.2012

Mother's Day Shout Out

I'm so honored to be Eliza's mom, and she is certainly the one responsible for making me a mama, but there's a lengthy list of mothers who have shaped me, influenced me, and encouraged me as a mother.  So I thought I'd give credit where credit is due:

Lindsey, Katrina, Wendi, Kathrine, and Ashley - We all became mommies together!  I love commiserating over nap schedules, snuggling your babies, and swapping war stories with you girls.  I'm so blessed to have my sweet friends to walk with as we begin this journey as parents, and I can't wait to see our little ones grow up together!

My supper club ladies - I love having you wonderful group of women that are just a few years ahead of me in this area!  Thank you for bestowing your wisdom, sharing practical advice, and telling hilarious stories about your kids.  You make me excited about the days to come!

Merry - You so beautifully model for me how to joyfully submit to God's plan for your children.  I'm so grateful for the support you've shown our family as our mothers aren't in town.  You Culps are one of the main reasons that Westover feels so much like home to us!

Melanie - I love that you are constantly learning, exploring, challenging the status quo, especially when it comes to parenting.  You are a tireless advocate for the things you are passionate about, and you encourage me to embrace the messy, tiring, glorious calling that is motherhood.

Cameron - You held my hand as I doubted my maternal instincts and gave me the confidence to trust God to turn me into the exact mommy that Eliza needs.  I pray that I will be able to return the favor for you when your precious little boy arrives next month!

Kellie - The most spirit-led person I know, you are so faithful to the call to teach your family about the beauty of God's love.  You encouraged me tirelessly as I (fearfully) began my journey toward motherhood, and I couldn't ask for a sweeter friend to "do life" with.  I know I can't hand pick Eliza's future in-laws, but I can't imagine anyone I'd rather be a second mother to my daughter, and so I'll keep on asking God that Jake and Eliza will fall madly in love one day.  :)

Charis - You are such a beautiful example of patience, humility, and peace - all qualities I'm so desperately in need of in my life!  Your consistent effort to teach your children about what's truly important in life is inspiring to me, and you are raising some pretty amazing kids.  I can't wait to see the amazing adults that Colt, Levi, and Tatum turn into - I know they'll do the Dishman name proud.

Ginny (Meem) - Your devotion to your family and famous wit are two of my most treasured qualities in my husband.  I hope with all my heart to keep your punny sense of humor in the family for generations to come!

Cosette (Mãe) - I'm so grateful for the heritage of faith and Christian service that you've passed down to me and my daughter.  I've always been proud of my missionary grandparents, and hope to instill your love of the nations in my children!

Juanita (Grandma) - My mama's mama, and my (middle) namesake.  I couldn't ask for a better matriarch to model after.  I know I got your love of lipstick, and wish desperately that I got your love of sewing.  My mom always says you're the best mommy in the world.  Who am I to argue?  ;)

Patty - The model of a Proverbs 31 woman, I so aspire to your dilligence, your devotion to your family, and your deep love for others.  You've welcomed me, loved me, and accepted me from the very beginning, and I will be forever indebted to you for raising the most amazing husband, tender daddy, and godly man I've ever known.

And my mommy, D'Ann - I could never list all the things you have been to me over the years: changer of diapers, baker of cookies, planner of birthday parties, counselor through middle school drama, boyfriend breakups, and bad hair days.  You listen to me go on and on (and on and on) about every single detail of my life, and always make me feel better when I'm overwhelmed, sad, or sick.  You've taught me so much - how to serve others, how to love and respect my husband, and how being a mother means putting your children first.  You love me with a sweet, honest, silly, consistent, unconditional love, and I hope that Eliza and I share just half the wonderful memories that I've had with you.  You're my bestest girlfriend and (I'm sorry, but I've got to say it) the best mommy in the world.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the sweet mommies in my life.  I love you all and thank God for you each and every day!

3 comments:

Wendi said...

That is a sweet post. :) So happy to get to see you again soon!!!

The Retired Mama said...

Thank-you for the wonderful words. You are blessed to have so many supportive women in your life.
None of us mothers are perfect. We all have or will make blunders in bringing up our children. I regret not playing more, not being more patient and not learning how to sew so that I could bless you with all of the clothes and toys my mommy made for me. I regret not taking more pictures to document your life. I also regret eating all of those cookies we baked!
I pray I have taught you how to laugh. Life is a ride that can be quite joyful if we allow it to be. When the washing machine floods the house-- laugh. When you are digging ditches in the yard-- laugh. When you run your car into a school bus-- laugh. This life is just a moment until we get our real life in Heaven. Let it-- motherhood with ALL its up and downs be joyful. Jesus wept--- so that we could have the freedom from trials and troubles to laugh.

MamaDish said...

Thank you so much, Chez for the sweet words. I am thankful every day that you chose Cody for your husband. You are the perfect mother for Eliza and I love you like you are my very own daughter. I pray that God will continue to bless your precious family.